Civil Rights Lawyer

Workplace discrimination can happen anywhere. It can happen in IT companies, the fashion industry, and even in retail. While there are many avenues for reporting discrimination in the workplace, you have several other options when you are a federal employee and you believe that someone is discriminating against you. When someone discriminates against you in the workplace, it can quickly turn into a hostile environment. Not only do you not want to be around that person anymore, but you may dread coming into work or even fear that your workplace is no longer safe. Do not simply live with this discrimination, instead, fight against it. If you would like to consult with an attorney about federal workplace discrimination and what the proper steps are when someone is discriminating against you, please reach out to a civil rights lawyer in Washington, DC, such as from Eric Siegel Law, now.

What are common forms of discrimination?

Unfortunately, discrimination can sometimes be discreet because it can come in many forms. When you are confused about whether someone is discriminating against you or they do so subtly, you may be even more inclined not to report it. Some common forms of discrimination are:

  • Someone discriminating against you based on your sex (this includes pregnancy), race, age, religion, or disability. When someone discriminates against you, they may be harassing you because of the above factors.
  • Your employer denying you reasonable accommodations at the office that are necessary due to a disability or a religious belief.
  • Any form of workplace retaliation after you rightfully complained about someone discriminating against you.

What kinds of laws are in place to protect federal employees?

When a federal employee is being discriminated against, it may feel like they have no other option but to take the discrimination or transfer to another job. However, there are laws in place that protect federal employees in these situations. The Civil Service Reform Act of 1978 protects federal employees based on the Merit Systems Protection Board. There are certain actions that you can appeal to the Board, including:

  • A reduction in pay or grade.
  • A removal from service, and.
  • A suspension of over 14 days.

Additionally, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) takes care of many complaints regarding equal employment for federal employees. Not only does the EEOC handle discrimination, but they also handle other forms of harassment and retaliation claims brought forth by federal employees.

Instead of a judicial process, the federal employee is typically supposed to address these types of disputes through an administrative process instead of a judicial process, and having a federal employee attorney on your side can help when you would like someone to represent you during these disputes.

Getting the Help You Need For Your Discrimination Claim

You should not have to feel unsafe when you go into your place of work, and when someone is discriminating against you, it could mean you do not get promotions, time off, or pay raises that you deserve. When you are the victim of discrimination, do not hesitate to reach out to compassionate attorneys to help you with your claim.